The Bizarre World of Florida

Two arrested in shooting that stemmed from fight over cell phone September 8, 2012

Fort Myers police have arrested two men suspected of shooting and injuring another man over a cell phone last week.


Police responded to a home in the 2300 block of Willard Street at 2:22 p.m. Aug. 28 in response to a shooting. Troy Buettemeyer, 19, who lives at the residence, was shot twice in the stomach and then driven to Lee Memorial Hospital by friends who were not involved in the shooting. His injuries were not life threatening.

Police arrested 21-year-old Gregory Rawls, of Fort Myers, on Wednesday, and 20-year-old Demetri Bethea, of Lehigh Acres, on Tuesday, according to Fort Myers Police Department reports.

A woman who described herself as the victim’s on-again-off-again girlfriend told police she was in the victim’s home when he was shot. She was lying down in the back bedroom and her two sons were playing computer games in another room when she heard Buettemeyer arguing with two men. They were arguing over Rawls missing cell phone, which Rawls accused Buettemeyer of taking, Buettemeyer later told police.

Rawls pointed a gun at Buettemeyer and began ransacking his home, Buettemeyer told police. When Rawls put the gun in his pocket to look through a dresser, Buettemeyer started hitting him – and then Rawls shot him, Buettemeyer told police. The girlfriend heard gunshots and saw the two men run out of the home, according to the police report. Buettemeyer was left clutching his lower abdomen.

Buettemeyer then called friends to pick him up and take him to the hospital.

A suspect also stole Buettemeyer’s girlfriend’s cell phone valued at about $100.

Rawls and Bethea have been arrested on charges including aggravated battery, home invasion robbery and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. Both remain in Lee County Jail.

Rawls was shot in the hand Aug. 20, according to a police report. He has been convicted of two prior felonies, including possession of methamphetamine with intent to sell in 2009 and escaping a detention facility in 2004, according to a Fort Myers Police Department report.

Bethea was arrested last year on charges of aggravated battery, aggravated assault and destroying evidence, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office website.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 20,550 other followers