A diner at a Golden Corral said he received an unwelcome surprise in his chili – a dead rat.
“The first bite I took out of it was a crunch, and at the time I was like, maybe you know sometimes you get a hard bean inside of chili,” he said.
Wilson said what he immediately spat out was a gray rodent, which he thinks is a rat’s head with curly ears and a snaggletooth.
“When I saw it, I just went into the bathroom and threw up,” Wilson said. “I was like ‘ugh.’ I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”
He said that’s when his friends called the server. He said she called the manager who immediately addressed the complaint.
“He inspected and was like, ‘Wow that is a rat,” Wilson said. “So he took pictures of it, moved it around a little bit, took pictures in different angles. He was like me; he was horrified.”
Wilson said the restaurant comped his party’s meal, but the next day he felt queasy and went to the emergency room at Cape Coral Hospital.
Discharge documents showed Wilson was treated for gastroenteritis and prescribed medications for nausea and muscle spasms. In response to questions of making the story up, he said he would never do that.
“They have cameras in there and everything,” he said. “I’m scared of rats.”
The restaurant said in a statement it’s looking into the matter and has been unable to confirm the alleged incident.
“Normally you get cases like this, people take food somewhere else, open it up and something happens,” said Ray Racila, Wilson’s attorney. “This happened right in the restaurant where there’s no question what happened. The manager is right there.”
Wilson said he wonders what else was in his chili before he chomped on a head.
“Who’s to say that first bite wasn’t his foot,” he said.